"Real is good. Interesting is better."

~ Stanley Kubrick ~

Sunday, January 10, 2010

So it begins...

Those of you who know me well, and I imagine at this early stage in the blog game, any of you reading this pretty much know me well, know that I have two great loves in my life. One of them I will not be writing about here. The other will take up the majority of the space on this blog.

I love movies. I can't remember a day during any year of my 28 that I have not loved movies. I love watching them. I love absorbing them. I love watching them for directorial techniques that nobody else notices or realizes he's noticed. I watch a Steven Spielberg movie and look for that moment when he aims the camera directly into a really bright light. Happens every time. I watch a Woody Allen movie for the scene where the camera gazes almost nonchalantly at two people talking on a sidewalk from a distance across a busy New York street. Best in black & white. I love movies.

People who know me know this about me. In college I was the movie guy. The biggest box I unpacked in my freshman dorm on the day I moved to Furman University in 2000 was my collection of VHS tapes. Probably the only 18 year old in history who has ever owned both a copy of The Godfather and On Golden Pond. The latter of which still retains the slot on the top of my all time favorites, even after the release of The Dark Knight in 2008, one of the greatest movie going experiences ever!

Yes, I love movies. Yes, I love watching them, although usually not in a theater, a fact that I will expound on in a future blog post. But I also love talking about movies. And I love talking about them more than the standard:
"Honey, did you like that?"
"Yeah, I really did. Toss me the remote."
or
"Hey, what did you think of that one?"
"ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ..."
"Sweety?"
that usually goes on in my apartment.

My blog is my outlet. I have a lot to say about movies, and the genius of blogs is they give us all a forum to say whatever we want. Whenever we want. However we want. And it doesn't matter if nobody reads it, I won't get fired for a lack of readership...although, you know, come to think of it, I would like some readership. And I can design my blog however I want, complete with goofy picture of me dressed up like I'm a discerning critic at a world premier, and I still get the job.

So that's my introduction. My pitch. I'm going to be here talking about movies. New movies. Old movies. My favorite movies. Movies I whole-heartedly despised...and at nearly $10 dollars a pop (and that's not including popcorn), you can bet I have something to say about those.

Alfred Hitchcock once said "Drama is life with the dull bits cut out." So if you're interested in forgetting about the dull bits for a while, that's what we'll be doing here. You're all invited.

11 comments:

  1. "And here.....we....go!"

    Looking forward to reading more! And while I don't have a copy of On Golden Pond, (but of course I do have the Godfather), i agree it was a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the way you become great, man...hang your balls out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Paul!! This is great! Tell us how often you plan to post (every Sunday night?) That way, you'll get me hooked. Love, love the writing -- think you could call it "Loud Laugh Guy: Movie Musings by Paul" or "Movie Musings with a Side of Ranch: I'm Paul, but not that Paul." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great first post paul! Loved it and cant wait for the next one. I know everyone will love this as i have loved having you as my movie critic/expert for my entire life! What the world needs are people like you with a passion for anything...a passion for loving great movies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that was burton by the way

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good start! Look forward to more. But, Dark Knight! Double NIX!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diana Eros DuncansonJanuary 11, 2010 at 4:52 PM

    Bring it on, oh mighty one! You have us all hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can not wait till the next Blog....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really looking forward to your blog! So glad you went for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When is the next post?!? i'm waiting with baited breath!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, Paul, it's Dot. I just read an email from Elaine via Marjie's wonderful FWDs, about your blog. I just read it and loved, loved it! So well written and enjoyable...interesting, humorous.....and funny!! I love your pic on this blog. When is the next one!! I hope soon.
    Love to you both, Dot

    ReplyDelete